Friday, October 19, 2012

Kensington.

From my journal, October 19th: Reflective piece on a sight of my choice:

"I am in Kensington Garden. The flowers bloom everywhere and the sun shines down brilliant on the luscious beds. The garden is quiet compared to the busy city streets I am used to. It's a study in contrasts, really, the concrete, sterile quality of the streets, the rush and panic of the people, and the colours and softness of this garden. People mill about everywhere, taking pictures, I can hear strands of different languages which float across the flower beds, little pieces of peoples stories hanging in the air... like all of the different minerals which make up the soil these flowers feed off of. That's something I love about London. So many people make up this great city, so many lives are intertwined by the same passion for this place. This city consumes me, it has a strength and draw to it that I rarely feel in other places. It's surreal to be standing here, looking at this gorgeous site, it's something out of a storybook. Similar to how I felt standing on top of the Duomo in Milan- it's humbling, being in a place most people will only ever dream of going to. Traveling is a happy exhaustion, the heady feeling of being somewhere for the first time, seeing something your eyes have never witnessed before. I'm a sponge, soaking it all in until I can no longer absorb anything more."

No comments:

Post a Comment