Saturday, October 20, 2012

Oxford.















"I'm so glad we visited Oxford today, and I'm incredibly grateful I do not attend Oxford. The city felt hectic and touristy, and the school was enormous. However, the buildings were beautiful and so unique, and the library was like nothing I've ever seen. I think our travel group overall really enjoyed our day trip, we had a delicious -albeit long- lunch and got to see so many gorgeous buildings and different parts of the University. The most striking aspect for me was thinking about how recent in our history women are allowed to attend and get a degree from Oxford. Less than a century ago women were not allowed entry into Oxford (Oxford did not admit women until 1920) and yet today so many of our world's brightest leaders are women. As a gender we have made so many strides in the past 100 years, and I had never really thought in depth about what life would be like today without the right to vote or attend college before our visit." - from my journal, October 20th

No comments:

Post a Comment